The first patch set for WebCenter 11g has arrived. The latest version is available on the Fusion Middleware 11g Download Page. To get started with the WebCenter Framework, you need to download the studio edition of JDeveloper and install the WebCenter Extension for JDeveloper through Help > Check for Updates.
The documentation has been revamped as well.
Some of the key new features:
- People Connection: this service allows you to build Facebook or LinkedIn like business networks. The People Connections service includes task flows that show off a user’s profile, visualize the user’s connections list or network, display all the invitations pending and accepted from others, deliver a whiteboard (often called a “wall”) to project out relevant information about one’s role or self, and provide a means to monitor and manage received and given kudos. The People Connections service provides a view of these activity streams and includes filters for the user to determine the type of activities that are of interest.
- Content Presenter: this service allows business users to select a document, apply a template, and publish it in their pages. Content presenter is very similar to the WebLogic Portal Content Presenter Portlet.
- REST APIs:
- The Discussions service REST APIs enable a client to post, read, update, and delete discussion forums, topics, and messages.
- The People Connections service REST APIs enable a client to view profile data; manage connection lists, feedback, and messages; and view activities for users, lists, and group spaces.
- The WebCenter Spaces REST APIs enable a client to retrieve group space metadata and view, create, update, and delete group space lists and list items.
- The Content Management REST Service uses the CMIS (Content Management Interoperability Services) RESTful server binding to provide access to the CM VCR (Content Management Virtual Content Repository).
- Personal Calendar: the new personal calendar uses the rich ADF-Faces calendar component.
- Composer Improvements: more control over page layout.
- Tighter integration with SES: All Social Computing services are integrated with SES. You can configure Spaces and custom WebCenter applications to be crawled and indexed by SES, resulting in relevancy ranked search results for all data sources.
- Wiki & Blog integration got significantly better with out-of-the-box search integration.
- Extended browser support: IE8, Safari 4.x, Firefox 3.5
- Scalability and performance improvements